Thursday, October 1, 2015

What Color is Your Parachute

Do you have a job? How was the interview process? Did you feel uncomfortable at any point?  These are interesting questions to consider after reading chapter 5 in the "What Color is Your Parachute" book.  Furthermore, I have a job, have been interviewed before and the interview was uncomfortable. My job interview went well, however, it became uncomfortable when the question of compensation arose.  As a young professional who is trying to get a job it is difficult for me to demand a certain amount of money.  I do not have vast, proved and professional success.  The discomfort in the interview comes when I am asked how much I want to make.  If it happens early in the process, I do not know what to say.  I want to keep them interested and I do not want the relationship to be just about money.  Furthermore, when I am asked at the end I do not want to ruin a great interview by asking for too much money.

The text explains this dilemma quiet simply by stating that salary is important.  You do a service and need to get compensated for that service. Therefore, "always ask about salary." The text also states some helpful ways to differ the question.  Trying to ask more questions about the position before you answer is good.  Asking for time to think about the opportunity more. Even being open and stating that you do not want to discuss that topic until both parties are interested in an agreement.  These are all ways to differ the question.  If you are forced to answer try giving a range.  If the interviewer keeps pressing then maybe think about whether its a place you want to work at all or ask what they are willing to pay.  

Have a conversation about salary.  Most importantly make sure it is not skipped and that before you accept a job you know what you will be paid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment